Category Archives: Carrot Cakes
Here’s a versatile carrot cake recipe which is perfect for everyday baking and occasions. You will love this incredibly moist and easy carrot cake recipe with cream cheese frosting. This cake is quick and easy to make, versatile and utterly delicious.
Salwaa Smith – Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights
From My Kitchen To Yours – keeping our heritage alive!
2 cups cake or plain flour
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup soft brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup oil
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
200g carrots, finely grated
150g walnuts, chopped (optional)
For The Cream Cheese Frosting
125g unsalted butter at room temperature
50g icing sugar
250g cream cheese
• Pre-heat the oven to 170°C.
• Line a 20cm deep cake tin, 2 loaf tins or a Bundt tin.
• Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together and stir in the sugar.
• Beat the eggs with the oil and citrus zests.
• Stir in the carrots and fold everything into the flour mixture.
• Fold in the walnuts if using. Spoon the mixture into the tin/s.
• Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
• The cake in the loaf tins will bake quicker as it’s not as deep as the round tin.
• Cool cake before frosting.
To make the frosting, beat the butter and icing sugar together until soft and then beat in the cream cheese. Chill the mixture until it’s thick but spreadable. Spread a thick layer on top of the cake, making sure the side of the icing is flat and continues upwards from the side of the cake. Decorate with walnuts (optional)