Chocolate Éclair Pudding
Salwaa Smith – Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights
From My Kitchen To Yours – keeping our heritage alive.
Ingredients for the choux pastry:
1 cup cold water
½ tsp caster sugar
85g unsalted butter
1 cup cake flour
4 medium eggs, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 200° Celsius.
2. To make the choux pastry, place the butter, water, salt and sugar into a large saucepan.
3. Place over a low heat to melt the butter. Increase the heat and pour in the flour in one go.
4. Remove from the heat and quickly beat the mixture vigorously until a smooth paste is formed, stirring continuously to dry out the paste.
5. Once the paste curls away from the side of the pan, transfer the mixture into a large bowl and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes.
6. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, stirring vigorously until the paste is smooth and glossy.
7. Continue adding the egg until you have a soft dropping consistency. The mixture will be shiny and smooth.
8. Lightly oil a large baking tray or line the tray with greaseproof paper. Dip a teaspoon into some warm water and spoon out a teaspoon of the choux mixture onto the baking tray. Leave enough space in between for the éclairs to expand.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown, if too pale they will become soggy when cool.
10. Remove from the oven and prick the base of each éclair.
11. Place onto the baking tray with the hole facing upwards and return to the oven for 5 minutes. The warm air from the oven helps to dry the middle of the pastries.
Ingredients for the pudding.
1 packet of chocolate Instant mousse prepared as per packet instructions
250 ml fresh cream whipped
One tin caramel
One small tin nestle dessert cream
150 gram dark chocolate
Once the cream whipped to stiff peaks mix through the caramel and fill the eclairs using half the caramel and cream mixture save the remaining caramel cream
Layer the mousse in a bowl
Then a layer of the eclairs and fill any open spaces with the remaining caramel cream
Melt the chocolate and mix the dessert cream with the melted chocolate to make a smooth ganache and drizzle this over the eclairs.