Fancies are sponge cakes cut into squares, dipped in diluted jam and rolled in coconut. Fancies can be decorated in a variety of styles and with different toppings to suit the occasion. Fancies are usually served on special occasions e.g.: Eid, Weddings, Doopmaals, etc…
This recipe makes 20 – 24 cakes depending on the size of the squares you cut your cake into.
For the coating:
3 Tbsp smooth apricot or strawberry jam
1 cup hot water
1 cup desiccated coconut
Whipped fresh cream
Fresh fruit of choice, well-drained canned fruit will also work
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease a 30x20cm baking tin with butter or oil.
- Cover the bottom of the baking tin with greaseproof paper to prevent the cake sticking to the baking tin,
- Cream eggs, castor sugar and oil until light and fluffy or until sugar has dissolved.
- Add vanilla essence.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Stir in milk and mix to combine until the mixture is a smooth dropping consistency.
- Pour into prepared tin.
- I always knock my baking tin a couple of times on a flat surface to even the batter out as well as to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- To check if cake is done insert a skewer in the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean it is done.
- Allow to cool slightly, turn out into a cooling rack to cool down completely.
- Remove greaseproof paper.
- Cut the cake into squares.
To complete the cakes:
- Mix the jam and hot water together until the jam has dissolved.
- Put the coconut into a little bowl.
- Lightly dip the cakes one at a time into the jam water, do not drench.
- Roll the cakes in the coconut to cover completely.
- Using a piping bag , pipe a border or cover the top of the cakes with whipped cream.
- Decorate with fresh or drained canned fruit.
Posted on 08/01/2014, in Cakes and tagged Cakes, Cape Malay, cape malay cooking, Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights, Cape Malay Cooking and Other Delights, Cape Malay Recipes, Easy, Quick Cape Malay Recipes, Summer Recipes, Traditional Cape Malay Food. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.