Salwaa’s Cream Cheese Cinnamon Rolls. Makes 14 to 16 Rolls
My cinnamon rolls are a must try recipe to enjoy on a cold autumnal day with a hot cuppa. These cinnamon rolls are best served warm.
Salwaa Smith – Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights
From My Kitchen To Yours – keeping our heritage alive for the past 10 years!
1 packet dry yeast
1½ – 2 cup milk
¼ cup white sugar
¼ cup warm water
¼ tsp vanilla essence
1 large egg
1 tsp salt
¼ cup butter, melted
4 cups cake flour
¼ cup melted butter, to brush over the top before baking
For the Filling,
1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
¾ cup soft brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
1 ½ Tbsp of ground cinnamon
For the Glaze,
¼ cup of cream cheese, at room temperature
1 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 &1/4 cups of icing sugar
½ tsp of vanilla essence
3- 4 Tbsp of warm milk
1) In a small bowl, combine the warm water and 1 tsp of the sugar, sprinkle the yeast over the top and set aside for approximately 5 minutes.
2) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook or knead by hand, mix the egg, milk (start with 1 & 1/2 cups, adding the rest as needed), salt, sugar and melted butter. Add 2 cups of the flour, vanilla and yeast mixture, mix until it’s all incorporated and slowly add about 2 more cups of flour. Knead until you have a smooth dough.
3) Set the dough aside covering the bowl with clean wrap in a warm area for about 2 hours.
4) In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon for the filling, set aside. @capemalaycooking
5) When doubled in size, punch the dough down and roll it out onto a floured surface into a rectangle. Spread the soft butter over the top and sprinkle evenly over the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Starting from one of the long ends, tightly roll the dough. Cut into 14 to 16 slices making sure they are even and place them cut side down in a well-greased baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let put them back into a warm spot to rise for another 1 ½ hours.
6) Pre-heat your oven to 200°C
7) Once risen, brush them with some melted butter and bake them for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
While the cinnamon rolls cool for a few minutes make the glaze. Mix all the ingredients of the glaze in a bowl except for the milk, once the cream cheese is all mixed, slowly add the milk until you get a runny glaze consistency. Immediately pour the glaze over the cinnamon rolls and enjoy!