Spring rolls are deep fried appetisers often made with phyllo pastry filled with vegetables or vegetables with shredded chicken. Here is my recipe for crispy vegetable spring rolls. Serve warm with a sweet spicy sauce or dip.
Salwaa Smith – Cape Malay Cooking & Other Delights
From My Kitchen To Yours – from my kitchen to yours keeping our heritage alive for the past 11 years!
Spring Rolls Recipe
All you need to make homemade spring rolls are phyllo pastry, available in the freezer at most supermarkets, chicken mince or boneless chicken, spring onions, mix veg, seasoning and soy sauce. Serve with a sweet chilli sauce or any of your favourite dipping sauces.
These spring rolls can be air fried as well as deep fried. When using the air fry method, defrost slightly, brush your spring rolls lightly with oil and bake at 200°C in a pre-heated air fryer until golden brown and crispy, approximately 5 minutes a side.
For more Cape Malay Cooking recipes don’t forget to subscribe and press the notification button: https://www.youtube.com/capemalaycooking
Follow me on social media:
Subscribe to my website: www.capemalaycookingdelights.com
Spring rolls are a large variety of filled, rolled appetisers. Here is a recipe for crispy vegetable spring rolls. Dip hot, fried spring rolls in sweet spicy sauce.
1 cup mixed vegetables, chopped long and slim/shredded (carrot, beans, cabbage, peas, corn, green, yellow, red peppers, etc)
1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
1 tablespoon soya sauce
1 chopped green chilli
Salt and pepper to taste 1 teaspoon oil 20 sheets filo pastry Method:
1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions until transparent and pink.
2. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for another minute.
3. Next add the vegetables and green chilli, sprinkle some water and cook closed until soft, yet crunchy.
4. Turn heat to high and add the soya sauce. Mix well for a minute on high.
5. Lower heat. Mix in salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. ADD CHOPPED, COOKED CHICKEN MINCE FOR VARIATION Filling and rolling:
Defrost the pastry to room temperature before separating the sheets. Lay out one sheet; add about 2-3 tablespoons (depending on the size of your spring roll sheets) of the vegetable filling towards one corner. Fold in the end of the corner first and then both sides. Fold in the end of the corner first and then both sides. Once these ends are firmly placed, start rolling towards the other end until fully done. Deep fry until golden brown. Cook’s notes:
– Add cooked, shredded chicken pieces.
– You can use any mix of vegetables you want. However, cabbage and peppers really enhance the taste.
– Arrange spring rolls in a single layer on a medium baking sheet. Brush with vegetable oil. Bake in preheated oven @ 200C for 20 minutes, until lightly browned. For a crispier spring roll, turn after 10 minutes. Chilli Sauce Recipe – https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=205809582791310&set=a.204968582875410.48230.183695408336061&type=3&theater